- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup hot milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 egg whites
- In a large skillet, brown beef, onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Cook and stir for 3 minutes; drain.
- Place the tomato paste in a bowl.
- Gradually whisk in broth until smooth.
- Stir in horseradish, mustard, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Add to meat mixture.
- Pour into a greased 11-inch by 7-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the peppers in remaining oil until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Drain and spoon over meat mixture.
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender; drain. Mash with milk, cheese and remaining salt.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into potatoes.
- Spoon over pepper layer.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350°; bake 20 minutes longer or until meat layer is bubbly.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!