Submitted by: Tammy Reese of the Farm and Dairy.
- 3lbs. ground beef
- 1 pablano pepper
- 3 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fresh)
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz. can kidney beans
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp. hot chili powder (or less, or use regular chili powder)
- 1 tbsp. cayenne pepper (can be omitted or reduced)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste.
- 1/2 c. dark or regular cocoa powder
- Optional: Corn Chips, Sour Cream, Cheddar Cheese or your favorite toppings.
- Dice the onion. Brown ground beef and the onion, then drain the excess fat off of the meat. You may also use ground venison, a mixture of ground pork and ground beef, or ground turkey or chicken for this recipe.
- Line a cookie sheet in foil, place the poblano pepper on the foil-lined sheet, place in the oven on broil for 3 minutes per side or until the pepper has charred on the outside. Let cool, then dice the pepper.
- Dump all of the ingredients into the slow cooker, except the bay leaves and mix to evenly distribute the beans, spices and other ingredients. Add the bay leaves.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hrs. or on high for 4 hrs.
- To serve, top with your favorite toppings.
Makes 12 servings
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!