- 2 pounds snap beans – whole, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup green onion, sliced
- 2/3 cup oil, divided
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, divided
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, hard cooked, shelled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon mustard, spicy
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 pound bacon, fried crispy and crumbled
If using fresh beans, clean beans and snip ends. Cook beans for 5-10 minutes in boiling water. Remove from boiling water and immediately submerge in icy cold water and let cool completely. Remove beans from water and dry. Toss beans with onion, oil, 1/2 cup vinegar, nutmeg and salt. Cover and chill at least 2 hours. Mix remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar with mustard and paprika. Add eggs and toss. Cover and chill at least 2 hours. To prepare salad, drain bean mixture thoroughly and toss in bacon. Layer in bottom of serving dish. Top with egg mixture. If desired, top with fresh parsley.
Recipe from Pennsylvania Vegetable Growers Association.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!