Spinach and Feta Borek
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups cooked spinach, cooled and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 3 green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 12 phyllo sheets
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt and olive oil. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine spinach, dill, parsley, green onions, cheeses, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Brush the bottom and edges of a 9×13 pan with oil. Cut the phyllo sheets so that they fit in your baking pan. Cover them with a damp kitchen towel. Keep the remaining phyllo sheets under it every time you take one. This will prevent the sheets from drying out.
- Line the first phyllo sheet in a greased pan. Using a brush, spread 2-3 tablespoons yogurt mixture on it. Fold the edges to the center. It doesn’t have to look perfect. Place the second phyllo sheet in the same way. Brush with the mixture. Repeat this for six phyllo sheets in total. Spread the filling evenly on the top of the sixth phyllo sheet. Place the seventh phyllo sheet over the filling, brush with the mixture. Fold the edges and repeat these steps for the remaining sheets.
- Finally, pour the rest of the egg and yogurt mixture on the top and spread it evenly. If you think it is too much for your baking pan, use half of it. Slice the borek, squares or triangles, and sprinkle sesame seeds over it.
- Bake it for 35-40 minutes or until golden.
- Remove it from the oven and let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!