- 2 cups half and half
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/3 cups plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 Driscoll’s Strawberries, hulled
- To serve, slice strawberries and arrange 2 on each custard (this can be done ahead and refrigerated until ready to serve).
- Just before serving, heat remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a small heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, tilting pan to melt evenly as sugar liquefies.
- Once sugar is melted, reduce heat to low and cook until very liquid and golden-brown.
- Quickly drizzle 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar mixture over strawberries on top of custards.
- Serve immediately.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Heat half and half in microwave or a small saucepan until warm to the touch, 2-3 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl or 4-cup measuring cup with pouring spout.
- Whisk in warm cream.
- Place 6 custard or soufflé cups in a 13×9-inch baking pan.
- Pour egg mixture evenly into dishes.
- Pour very hot water carefully around dishes to about halfway up sides.
- Bake 35-45 minutes or until center feels set to the touch. (Check at 30 minutes, custards may bake quicker depending on temperature of half and half and water bath.)
- Carefully remove cups from water and cool.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!