Ingredients for Filling:
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 EGG YOLKS, well beaten
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 Basic Unbaked Piecrust
Ingredients for Meringue:
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 5 EGG WHITES, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- HEAT oven to 425°F.
- FILLING: MIX sugar and flour in medium bowl. WHISK in egg yolks, half-and-half, and vanilla; beat until blended. GENTLY FOLD in rhubarb and strawberries. POUR into crust. PLACE pie on rack in center of 425°F oven and BAKE for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and continue baking until almost set, 25 to 30 minutes; center will jiggle slightly. Cool on wire rack 5 to 10 minutes. Immediately make
- MERINGUE: DISSOLVE cornstarch in cold water in one cup glass measure. MICROWAVE on HIGH 30 seconds; stir. MICROWAVE until mixture boils, 15 to 30 seconds longer. Remove; cover. BEAT egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy. Beating constantly, ADD sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating after each addition until sugar is dissolved before adding the next. Continue beating until whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. Beating constantly, ADD cornstarch paste, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time. BEAT in vanilla.
- Quickly SPREAD meringue evenly over filling, starting at edge and sealing to crust all around; swirl with back of spoon.
- BAKE in upper third of 350°F oven until lightly browned, 15 to 17 minutes.
Cool on wire rack 1 hour, then refrigerate 3 to 4 hours before serving.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!