- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prick sweet potatoes with fork. Bake until tender, about 45 minutes. Let cool. Peel off skin and mash with fork to create puree.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°F. Line sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut cold butter into dry ingredients with pastry blender. Combine sweet potato puree and buttermilk and add to flour mixture. Mix with rubber spatula and use your hands to bring mixture together into ball.
- On lightly floured surface, pat dough to about 1 inch thick. Use 3-inch round cutter to cut dough into 8 rounds. Place on prepared sheet pan and bake until edges are golden, 15-18 minutes. Serve immediately. Store biscuits in airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.