- 1/4 cup corn or canola oil
- 3 pounds pumpkin, peeled, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger root
- 1 teaspoon crushed coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- pinch salt
- 2 cups cooked rice
- pita bread slices
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan with a lid. Fry the pumpkin cubes on all sides until lightly browned.
- In a small bowl, mix together one clove garlic, water, salt, sugar, tomato sauce, ginger root, coriander, and pepper. Add to the pumpkin mixture in the fry pan. Cover and cook 20 to 25 minutes over low heat until the pumpkin is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid.
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, the other garlic clove, and salt.
- To serve, spoon the cooked pumpkin and sauce over the rice. Drizzle some of the yogurt mixture over the top and sprinkle with dried mint. Serve with the pita bread.