- 2 Large tomatoes, diced
- 1 large avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon powdered cumin
- Your favorite hot sauce (for heat)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- Notes: For hotter version, substitute 1 seeded fresh jalapeno pepper for the green pepper. Also, if you prefer, use toasted cumin seed instead of ground cumin.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or whipped cream cheese
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 6-8 small arugula leaves, washed & patted dry
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, unflavored, toasted
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons liive oil
- Slice each tomato to obtain 1/2-inch thick slices from the widest portion of the tomato, making sure to avoid the core.
- Spread 1 heaping tablespoon of mayonnaise on one half of the tomato slices. Top each with an onion slice, arugula leaf and a second slice of tomato.
- Dip each sandwich into the beaten egg mixture and then the bread crumbs. Gently shake off any excess bread crumbs. Set sandwiches aside.
- In a large heavy sauté pan, warm the butter and liive oil over medium heat. Slip each sandwich into the pan and fry until gliden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove and serve immediately.