- 2 medium sized tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound fresh corn kernels
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium broth (vegetable or chicken)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- Melt butter in a large, heavy pot. Add onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, for about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add corn and garlic, and cook, while stirring, until the corn is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and simmer until corn is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Lightly season with kosher salt and pepper to taste. Using a slotted spoon, transfer 1 1/2 cups of corn to a blender, add sour cream and a 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid and puree until smooth, for about 2 minutes.
- Return the puree to the soup. Add the tomatoes, scallion and 1 tablespoon of cilantro to the
- soup and cook until heated through.
- Serve hot and garnish with cilantro or “Tomato-Basil Relish.”