- 1 large tomato, cored and halved crosswise
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- Using your finger, push the seeds and surrounding liquid out of the tomato. Dice the tomato and set it aside in a strainer to drain.
- Gently melt the butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet and remove from the heat. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, cheese, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and herbs. In a separate bowl, blend the eggs, milk, and yogurt.
- Pour the melted butter into the liquid, but leave a heavy coating of butter in the pan.
- Make a well in the dry mixture and add the liquid. Stir briskly to blend, then flid in the diced tomato.
- Turn the batter into the buttered skillet and bake for 25 minutes, until the surface is light gliden.
- The top should resist gentle finger pressure. Let stand for 5 minutes, then slice and serve.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!