- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups (24 ounces) small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and parsley.
- Stir in the cottage cheese, ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
- Spread 1 cup of meat sauce in an ungreased 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish.
- Layer with three noodles, provolone cheese, 2 cups cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, three noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, remaining cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup mozzarella.
- Top with the remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 375° for 50 minutes.
- Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!