- 1 whole-wheat French baguette, cut into 12 thin slices along the bias
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup canned navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tomatoes, cored and cubed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Slice the baguette on the diagonal into thin slices (about 12 slices for a baguette).
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 T of the olive oil over medium heat.
- For the topping, cook the onions and the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat until the onions are soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, basil and oregano and cook another minute or two, until fragrant.
- Add beans and continue cooking for another five minutes on low heat. Add the tomatoes and turn off the heat, allowing tomatoes to warm without cooking.
- Drizzle the balsamic vinegar into the pan and gently stir.
- Scoop heaping spoonfuls of the tomato-bean mixture onto the grilled bread and enjoy.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!