- 1 0.25-ounce package active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 – 3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes, and then blend with the yogurt, butter, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir in the flour until a soft dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, until soft and smooth. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions. Shape into round or oblong loaves and place on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a slightly damp lint-free cotton towel and let rise for 60 minutes or until about doubled in size.
- Lightly brush each loaf with the egg wash. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Remove to a baking rack and allow the breads to cool before slicing. Makes two loaves.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!