COLUMBUS — During the fourth quarter of 2014, Ohio’s horizontal shale wells produced 3,558,836 barrels of oil and 164,815,008 Mcf (164 billion cubic feet) of natural gas, according to figures released Feb. 26 by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.
Oil increased by more than 545,000 barrels and gas by more than 33 billion cubic feet compared to the third quarter of 2014.
The lists below show the top 10 wells for gas and oil production.
Three of the horizontal well legs from the Dodson 28-11-5 well in Harrison County’s Stock Township show the top production in both oil and gas in 91 days of production during the fourth quarter. The Dodson 6H produced 25,145 barrels of oil and 354,080 Mcf of gas; the 8H leg produced 23,556 barrels of oil and 369,426 Mcf; and the 10H leg produced 21,078 barrels and 319,583 Mcf. The well was developed by Chesapeake Exploration.
By comparison, 352 horizontal shale wells in the fourth quarter of 2013 produced 1,439,209 barrels of oil and 43,124,516 Mcf (43 billion cubic feet) of natural gas.
Comparing the last two years in Ohio, there has been a 200 percent increase in oil production and a 350 percent increase in gas production.
The new report lists 828 wells, 779 of which reported production, resulting in a 15 percent increase in wells for the fourth quarter.
Forty-seven wells reported no production, as they are waiting on pipeline infrastructure.
Of the 779 wells reporting production results:
- The average amount of oil produced was 4,568 barrels.
- The average amount of gas produced was 211,573 Mcf.
- The average number of days in production was 80.
Top 10 Ohio wells, oil production
Fourth Quarter 2014*
- Shugert Daddy 3H, Guernsey County, Wills Township, American Energy Utica 56,496 barrels**
- Shugert Daddy 1H, Guernsey County, Wills Township, American Energy Utica 55,234 barrels
- Shugert Daddy E 5H, Guernsey County, Wills Township, American Energy Utica 51,968 barrels
- Smeltz 23-13-5 1H, Carroll County, Lee Township, Chesapeake Exploration 28,106 barrels
- GF Farms 25-14-5 10H, Carroll County, Center Township, Chesapeake Exploration 26,689 barrels
- Dodson 28-11-5 6H, Harrison County, Stock Township, Chesapeake Exploration 25,145 barrels
- Dodson 28-11-5 8H, Harrison County, Stock Township, Chesapeake Exploration 23,556 barrels
- Poinsettia 36-12-5 1H, Carroll County, Perry Township, Chesapeake Exploration 22,755 barrels
- Mizer Farms Unit 9H, Harrison County, Stock Township, Eclipse Resources, 22,436 barrels
- Mizer Unit 2H, Harrison County, Stock Township, Eclipse Resources 21,845 barrels
Top 10 Ohio wells, gas production
Fourth Quarter 2014*
- Shroyer Unit 2H, Monroe County, Salem Township, Eclipse Resources 1,895,281 Mcf
- Shroyer Unit 4H, Monroe County, Salem Township, Eclipse Resources 1,833,001 Mcf
- Blue Thunder Well 10H, Belmont County, Smith Township, Rice Drilling 1,446,714 Mcf
- Blue Thunder Well 12H, Belmont County, Smith Township, Rice Drilling 1,445,821 Mcf
- McDougal Unit 1H, Monroe County, Seneca Township, Antero Resources 1,383,860 Mcf
- Bigfoot Well 9H, Belmont County, Smith Township, Rice Drilling 1,325,905 Mcf
- McDougal Unit, 2H Monroe County, Seneca Township, Antero Resources 1,293,468 Mcf
- Gary Unit 3H, Monroe County, Seneca Township, Antero Resources 975,488 Mcf
- Wesley 1-8H, Belmont County, Somerset Township, Gulfport Energy 919,065 Mcf
- Wesley 2-8H, Belmont County, Somerset Township, Gulfport Energy 917,128 Mcf
* Production data is compiled based on information provided to the ODNR by the oil and gas well owners. The Division of Oil and Gas Resources does not guarantee the accuracy of the information.
** (1 barrel = 42 U.S. gallons) Ohio law does not require the separate reporting of Natural Gas Liquids (NGL). Gas reporting totals listed on the report include NGLs.
***(1 MCF = 1,000 cubic feet of gas)
All horizontal production reports can be accessed at: oilandgas.ohiodnr.gov/production.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!