Report failed crops to county FSA


COLUMBUS — With spring planting around the corner, John Stevenson, Ohio State executive director for the Farm Service Agency, encourages farmers to report failed crop acreage that will not be brought to harvest to their local Farm Service Agency office.

Failed acreage

Failed acreage must be reported to Farm Service Agency before destroying and replanting to allow time for a field check.

Form CCC-576, Notice of Loss, is used to report failed acreage and may be completed by any producer with an interest in the crop.

For crop losses covered by the Non-insured Assistance Program, producers must contact their local Farm Service Agency office within 15 days of the occurrence of the disaster or when losses become apparent.

Producers with crop insurance should also contact their local agent when losses occur and before destroying the crop.

Low yields

Although low-yield acreage does not need to be reported to Farm Service Agency, producers are encouraged to keep good production records on acreage with a low crop yield to document crop losses.

If Congress authorizes a crop disaster program in the future, production records may help support crop loss claims.

Farm Service Agency program information is also available online at www/fsa/usda/gov.


Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!



We are glad you have chosen to leave a comment. Please keep in mind that comments are moderated according to our comment policy.

Receive emails as this discussion progresses.