- 3 teaspoons olive or canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 head broccoli or cauliflower or ¾ pound asparagus, chopped (about 2.5 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup leftover cooked potatoes or cooked rice or day-old bread cubes
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil or Italian flat leaf parsley leaves (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup grated or crumbled cheese, such as cheddar, Swiss, Feta or Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use 1 teaspoon of oil to grease a baking pan.
- Put a large skillet on the stove, turn the heat to medium and carefully add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally with the spatula or big spoon, until golden and softened, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the vegetables and potatoes or rice and cook until the vegetables are the tenderness you like, 5-10 minutes. Set aside for 10 minutes, or until cool.
- Put the eggs, salt and pepper in the mixing bowl and using the whisk or fork, mix well.
- Add the onion mixture, basil or parsley and cheese, and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and carefully move it to the oven.
- Bake until the top is golden and the eggs are set, 25-30 minutes.
- Set aside to cool and serve warm or at room temperature. Or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!