- 1 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained in a colander and rinsed with cold water
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice and grated zest of 1 scrubbed lemon or ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon harissa (if you like harissa)
- Add the chickpeas and garlic to a food processor, and process until the beans start to break apart and the garlic gets chopped.
- Add the oil and lemon juice and zest and process again. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the hummus reaches the consistency you like. Add the salt and pepper (and harissa) and process until completely smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!