- 2-1/2 pounds beef Stew Meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 cups water
- 1 package (.9 to 1.43 ounces) dry onion-mushroom soup mix
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup medium pearled barley
- 4 cups loosely packed fresh baby spinach
- Combine beef, water, soup mix, thyme, salt and pepper in stockpot; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 60 minutes.
- Stir in barley; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; continue simmering, covered, 45 minutes to 1 hour or until beef is fork-tender and barley is tender.
- Stir in spinach; cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!