Ingredients for the biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs like sage, rosemary or thyme, chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 pound beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs like sage, rosemary and thyme chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 9×13-inch baking dish.
- To make biscuits, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and fresh herbs. Cut cold butter into dry ingredients with pastry blender. Add buttermilk and mix with rubber spatula until mixture comes together into ball.
- On lightly floured surface, pat dough to about 1 inch thick. Use 4-inch round cutter to cut dough into 6 rounds. Set aside while you prepare filling.
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper and toss in 1/2 cup flour. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet and preheat over medium-high heat. Brown meat, then remove from pan. Reduce heat to medium, melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in pan and add onion. Cook onion until translucent but not browned. Add remaining 1/2 cup flour and cook for 1 minute more.
- Slowly add beef stock to pan while whisking to incorporate. Add milk, potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, herbs and browned meat. Salt and pepper to taste. Increase heat to high and bring to boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with biscuits. Bake until biscuits are browned and filling is bubbling, about 20-30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in fridge.