- 4 American lamb shanks
- 4 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes and juice, broken up
- 1/2 cup red wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
Preheat oven to 325º. In 13×9-inch baking dish with meat rack, arrange shanks. Make slits in shank meat. Thinly slice 2 garlic cloves and insert into slits. Season all sides of shanks with 2 teaspoons lemon pepper and salt. Roast in oven for 1 hour. In 2-quart saucepan with cover, heat oil. Sauté onion, bell pepper and 2 finely chopped garlic cloves for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, wine or broth, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, sugar, oregano, 1 teaspoon lemon pepper, coriander, allspice and paprika. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes; set aside. Remove cooked lamb shanks and rack from pan. Wipe out pan and return shanks to pan. Pour on sauce, cover and cook 1-1/2 to 2 additional hours or until meat is tender. Remove bay leaves. Serve with rice or pasta. Servings: 4.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!