- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup prepared grits, cold or at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sorghum syrup or molasses
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- Extra butter, maple syrup, whipped cream and fresh berries for serving
- Preheat Belgian waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, grits and sorghum syrup. Whisk together until thoroughly combined. Add melted butter and mix until well incorporated.
- Grease waffle iron with butter and pour scant 3/4 cup of waffle batter onto iron. Cook about 5 minutes, or according to manufacturer’s cooking instructions. The waffle is done when exterior is light golden brown and crisp.
- Serve immediately topped with butter, maple syrup, whipped cream and fresh berries.