- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 10-oz. jars maraschino cherries
For the glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 1/3 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, milk, oil and egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Drain the maraschino cherries, reserving the juice for the glaze. Coarsely chop the cherries in a food processor or with a knife. Gently fold the cherries into the batter.
- Pour the bread batter into a greased 9″x5″ bread pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center of the bread should come out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes, then remove the bread to a wire rack to cool completely.
FOR THE GLAZE:
- Combine the powdered sugar, melted butter, cherry juice and almond extract in a small bowl. Mix until it is smooth.
- Once the bread is cool, spread the glaze on top of the bread. Slice and serve. Freezes well!
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!