- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 4 eggs , separated
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Additional powdered sugar
- HERSHEY’S Syrup(optional)
Chocolate Mousse Filling Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup HERSHEY’S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY’S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (1/2 pt.) cold whipping cream
Chocolate Mousse Filling Directions:
- Stir together sugar and gelatin in small saucepan; stir in milk.
- Let stand 2 minutes to soften gelatin.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture just begins to boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Immediately add chocolate chips; stir until melted.
- Stir in vanilla; cool to room temperature.
- Beat whipping cream in small bowl until stiff.
- Gradually add chocolate mixture, folding gently just until blended.
- Cover; refrigerate until ready to use.
- About 3 cups filling.
* Cake may be prepared up to two days in advance.
Keep cake rolled tightly and covered well so that it doesn’t get dry.
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Prepare CHOCOLATE MOUSSE FILLING. Chill 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Prepare cake.*
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Line 15-1/2×10-1/2×1-inch jelly-roll pan with foil; generously grease foil.
- Sprinkle linen or thin cotton towel with 1/4 cup powdered sugar.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl until soft peaks form; gradually add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Beat egg yolks and vanilla in medium bowl on medium speed of mixer 3 minutes.
- Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar; continue beating 2 additional minutes.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to egg yolk mixture alternately with water, beating on low speed just until batter is smooth.
- Gradually fold chocolate mixture into beaten egg whites until well blended.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan; invert onto prepared towel.
- Carefully peel off foil.
- Immediately roll cake and towel together starting from narrow end; place on wire rack to cool completely.
- Carefully unroll cake; remove towel.
- Gently stir filling until of spreading consistency.
- Spread cake with filling; reroll cake.
- Refrigerate several hours.
- Sift powdered sugar over top just before serving.
- Serve drizzled with syrup and garnished as desired.
- Cover; refrigerate leftover cake roll.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!