- 1-1/2 cups chopped white onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium carrots, quartered crosswise, then slivered
- 1 pound potatoes, sliced then slivered
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 medium cloves)
- 1 cup mild chile salsa
- 2 cans chicken broth (14-1/2 ounces each)
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh chile peppers, minced or 1 teaspoon red chile flakes
- Grated cheddar or jack cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Gently saute onion in oil in large saucepan until buttery. Add carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, garlic, salsa, chicken broth, tomato sauce, oregano, cumin and fresh chiles.
- Bring to boil then simmer covered 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Serve in bowls topped with cheese and additional pepper if desired. Surround bowls with chips.
Makes 6 servings.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!