- 2 cups granulated cane sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Whole pecans (optional)
- Course-ground sea salt (optional)
- Butter a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, half and half, milk and butter in a 5-quart kettle or dutch oven.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugars dissolve and mixture comes to a boil.
- Wash down sided of pan with a wet pastry brush to remove any sugar crystals that may be present.
- Clip on a candy thermometer and continue to cook, stirring constantly, to the firm ball stage — about 248°F.
- Remove from heat and stir in flavoring.
- Pour hot caramel into prepared pan (do not scrape bottom of pot).
- Cool at room temperature until firm, preferrably overnight.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired.
- Cut into pieces.
- Press one whole pecan onto top of each caramel piece (if using).
- Wrap individually in twisting wax paper.
- Store tightly covered in a cool, dry place.
- Do not refrigerate.
Makes about 2 pounds of candy.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!