- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coarse-ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- coarse sanding sugar
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the egg and beat until combined. Stir in the vanilla and lemon zest, if desired.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to the butter mixture. Form the dough into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface to a 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters.
- Place an inch apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with coarse sanding sugar. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges are golden.
- Cool on a wire rack before storing in an airtight container.
Yield: Makes two dozen.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!