- 1 package yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup butter plus 3 tablespoons
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup chopped blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped citron
- 1/4 cup candied cherries
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Ingredients for Glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- Glaze: Mix 1½ cups confectioners sugar with 1½ tablespoons milk until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the yeast and the water in a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer. When the yeast is foamy, add the sugar, salt, eggs, egg yolk, 1/2 cup butter and half of the flour. Using the paddle attachment beat on medium speed for about 8 to 10 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides.
- Stir in the remaining flour along with the nuts, fruits and zest until well mixed. Cover the bowl with a slightly damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk, 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- When double, stir the mixture down, cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight or up to 2 days.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and shape into an oval about 12 inches long and 8 inches wide. Spread with the remaining butter then fold the dough in half lengthwise, pressing the edges together firmly. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, cover and let rise until double in bulk, about 45 minutes to an hour. Mix the egg white with a tablespoon of water and use it to brush over the dough.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes until golden. Let cool for 30 minutes. While the bread is still warm, prepare the glaze and pour over the bread. Cool completely before serving. Makes one loaf.
Yield: Makes 10-12 servings.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!