- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup medium grind yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar sweetened whipped cream
- fresh mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Whisk the flour, cornmeal and salt together in a medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Gradually add the 1-1/3cups sugar and beat for an additional 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, to combine. Stir in the vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients, a third at a time, beating until just blended after each addition. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool for 15 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack. Let cool completely.
- While the cake is baking, toss the strawberries with the ¼ to ½ cup sugar to coat. Arrange in a single layer in a shallow baking dish. When the cake is out of the oven, increase the temperature to 400 degrees. Roast the strawberries for 15 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through the roasting time. Remove from the oven and let sit at room temperature.
- To serve, cut the cake into slices and spoon roasted berries and some of the syrup that has collected in the baking dish over the top. Garnish with a fresh mint leaf or sweetened whipped cream.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!