Ingredients for the Soft Custard:
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Dash salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Ingredients for the Eggnog:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 or 2 drops yellow food color, if desired
- Ground nutmeg
- In 2-quart heavy saucepan, stir eggs, granulated sugar and salt until well mixed.
- Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat 10 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture just coats a metal spoon; remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Place saucepan in cold water until custard is cool. (If custard curdles, beat vigorously with hand beater until smooth.)
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
- Just before serving, in chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream, powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla with electric mixer on high speed until stiff.
- Gently stir 1 cup of the whipped cream and food color into custard.
- Pour custard mixture into small punch bowl.
- Drop remaining whipped cream in mounds onto custard mixture.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve immediately.
- Store in refrigerator up to 2 days.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!