- 1 medium onion (1/2 pound), peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups frozen peas
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Croutons (optional)
- Place a soup pot over medium heat and add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, thyme and bay leaves.
- Sweat vegetables covered for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer for one hour.
- Remove bay leaves and thyme and add frozen peas. When peas are cooked (1-2 minutes), add milk and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and carefully puree in a blender.
- Add nutmeg and ham cubes and salt or pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with croutons if desired.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!