- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, not too thick
- 4 3/4-ounce slices processed American cheese
- 8 vertical slices of dill pickle
- 8 thin slices ripe medium-sized tomato
- 12 to 16 red onion rings
- (4) 1 1/2-ounce slices sharp (aged) cheddar cheese
- Using a pastry brush, butter each slice of bread on one side, and place 4 slices, buttered side down, on a work surface.
- Place on each of these slices one slice processed American, 2 slices dill pickles, 2 slices tomato, 3 to 4 red onion rings and 1 slice of cheddar.
- Top with the remaining 4 bread slices, buttered side up.
- Lightly butter and heat a griddle or heavy skillet until hot.
- Place 2 sandwiches in the skillet and weight with another heavy pan or skillet.
- Brown slowly on one side for 2-3 minutes before turning, with a spatula, and grilling the other side until brown and cheese melts.
- It may be necessary to add a bit of butter to the skillet.
- Repeat with remaining two sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.
- If you like, you may spread mayonnaise or mustard on the unbuttered sides of the bread.