Dutch Oven Chili
- 3 pounds of ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 28-oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 6-oz tomato paste
- 1 16-oz can of kidney beans or black beans
- 5 tablespoons of chili powder
- 2 tablespoons of ground chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 can of beer (or water)
- 2 8.5-oz boxes of cornbread mix (along with necessary ingredients on box)
- Salt and black pepper
- Make a layer of hot coals on the ground.
- Place the dutch oven over the coals and allow the dutch oven to get hot.
- Brown the ground beef. Add the onions, garlic, and bell pepper and continue to cook until the vegetables are softened. Add the chili powder, chipotle powder, cumin, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Add the can of beer and beans and cook for another 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the cornbread mix (according to box) in a bowl and pour over the top of the chili.
- Place the lid on top of the dutch oven and place about 20 hot coals over the top of the lid.
- Cook for about 10 minutes and check to see if the cornbread is done cooking by lifting the lid and poking a skewer through the cornbread. If it comes out clean the chili is done.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!