- 4 cups potatoes, peeled and sliced into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, thickly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup White Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook potatoes for 5 minutes, or until slightly tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and cook until lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. Leave 1 tablespoon of the drippings in the pan and add butter and onions. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes. The onions should be completely soft and lightly brown. Add potatoes and pancetta to the pan and toss gently.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9×13 pan. Spread the potato mixture into the bottom of the pan. In a bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Add cheese, salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme. Pour egg mixture over potatoes. To make ahead, cover with plastic wrap and chill 4 hours or overnight.
- Bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown and completely set. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.