Blueberry Ice Cream
Yield: 1 3/4 quarts
Prep time:24 hours 20 minutes
Cooking time:10 minutes
Total time:24 hours 30 minutes
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup roughly chopped anise hyssop leaves
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups cream or half & half
- In a large saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add the hyssop leaves, simmer, uncovered, until sugar is dissolved and berries are softened and the hyssop has had time to steep. Press mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl; discard pulp. Stir in cream. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream maker two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to make.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with any remaining ice cream mixture. Yield: about 1-3/4 quarts.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!