English Muffin Loaves
Yield: Makes 2 loaves
- 5-1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 envs. active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. cornmeal
- Sift together 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda; set aside.
- In a large pot, stir milk and water together over medium heat until temperature is between 120 to 130˚F.
- Add flour mixture and beat well; stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter.
- Sprinkle greased 8″x4″ loaf pans with cornmeal; pour batter into pan. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400˚F for 25 minutes; remove loaves from pans. Cool on sides. Serve toasted.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!