- 4 cups flour, whole wheat
- 3/4 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 1/4 tablespoons yeast, dry active
- 1/2 cup non-fat dry milk powder
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or honey)
- 2 eggs, large (or 4 egg whites)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, dry yeast, and non-fat dry milk in large mixer bowl. Add water, oil, and sugar (or honey). Mix well 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn off mixer, cover and let dough sit for 10 minutes.
- Add eggs and salt. Turn on mixer. Add remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, until dough begins to form a ball.
- Knead for 5 to 6 minutes. Dough should be very soft and manageable. Stiff dough produces heavy, dry rolls. If dough stiffens while mixing, drizzle a little warm water over dough as it kneads.
- Dough may be used immediately or covered and stored in the refrigerator for several days.
- Lightly oil hands and countertop if needed. Shape immediately into rolls. Let rise until very light.
- Bake at 350°F for 18 to 20 minutes. Do not over bake.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!