- 1/4 cup Quinoa, dry
- 2 1/4 cups Canned low-sodium black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/4 cup Fresh red bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 1/4 cup Fresh red onions, peeled, diced
- 1/2 cup Fresh carrots, peeled, diced
- 1/4 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Fresh lime juice
- 6 Whole-wheat tortillas, 6″
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 325 °F.
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer until water runs clear, not cloudy. Combine quinoa and ¾ cup water in a small pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low and simmer until water is completely absorbed, about 10-15 minutes. When done, quinoa will be soft and a white ring will pop out of the kernel. The white ring will appear only when it is fully cooked. Fluff with a fork and set aside. A rice cooker may be used with the same quantity of quinoa and water.
- Place black beans in a large mixing bowl. Lightly mash beans by squeezing them using gloved hands (at least 50 percent of the beans should appear whole). Be careful not to over-mash beans.
- To make filling, add to the mashed beans the quinoa, red peppers, red onions, carrots, cheese, chili powder, cumin, and lime juice.
- For each wrap, place ½ cup of filling on the bottom half of tortilla and roll in the form of a burrito.The wrap may also be folded in half like a taco.
- Brush filled wraps lightly with vegetable oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 325 °F. Wraps will be lightly brown. Serve hot If desired, serve with fresh diced tomatoes, corn salsa, and/or lettuce.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!