- 3 firm green tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp Cajun seasoning
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil for frying
- Spread tomato slices on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Allow 15 minutes resting for salt to remove excess water from tomatoes. Blot each side dry with paper towels.
- In a shallow dish sift together cornmeal, flour and Cajun seasoning.
- Pour buttermilk in a second shallow dish. Whisk in egg.
- Coat tomatoes in cornmeal mixture, dip in buttermilk and coat a second time with cornmeal. Allow 5 minute rest. Sprinkle with cornmeal mix a third time just before frying.
- Heat vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet. Fry both sides of tomato slices crisp and golden. Serve immediately.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!