Courtesy of goboldwithbutter.com
- 1 large eggplant cut into 12 1/4 inch thick slices
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- 2/3 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 12 slices Provolone cheese
- 12 large fresh basil leaves
- 12 slices Italian bread
- Sprinkle eggplant slices with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Put slices in colander to drain. Set eggplant aside for 20 minutes. While eggplant is draining, prepare tomato sauce.
- In medium sized pot, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes, 3/4 teaspoon salt, red pepper flakes and oregano. Bring tomato sauce to boil and then reduce heat and simmer sauce for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pat drained eggplant dry with paper towels. Season slices with pepper. Cook eggplant slices on grill or indoor grill pan over medium heat. Cook eggplant for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, until slices are tender. Remove slices from grill and set aside.
- In small bowl, combine Ricotta, Parmesan cheese and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine. Set cheese mixture aside.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread layer of Ricotta mixture on each slice of bread. Layer 2 slices of eggplant on top of 6 slices of bread. Top eggplant slices with 1 tablespoon tomato sauce. Top sauce with 2 slices of Provolone cheese. Place 2 basil leaves on top of Provolone. Season sandwich stacks with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Close sandwiches with the remaining slices of Ricotta-smeared bread. Gently press down on sandwiches.
- Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in large nonstick skillet. Grill sandwiches on both sides until golden brown. Remove sandwiches from skillet. Slice sandwiches and serve with additional tomato sauce, if desired.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!