- 1 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed with cold water
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice and grated zest of 1 lemon or ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon harissa (if you like harissa)
- With the help of your adult, carefully put the steel blade in the food processor. Add the chickpeas and garlic and turn the processor on. Process until the beans start to break apart and the garlic gets chopped
- Add the oil and lemon juice and zest and process again. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the hummus reaches the consistency you like. Add the salt and pepper (and harissa) and process until completely smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.