- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1 onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 shredded carrots
- 1/2 oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 6 s ready-to-serve chicken broth
- 1 oats (quick or old fashioned, cooked according to package directions)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
In large skillet or saucepan, cook onion and carrots in 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add 1/2 cup uncooked oats and remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Cook, stirring often, 3 minutes or until oats are golden brown. Stir in broth; bring to a low boil. Stir in cooked oatmeal, stirring until well mixed. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with parsley. Makes 4 – 12 oz. servings.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!