- 1 1/2 s water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 regular rolled oats
- 1/2 small apple, cored and chopped
- 2 tablespoons dates*, snipped and pitted
- 1 tablespoon toasted sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1/3 s skim milk
In medium saucepan combine water, cinnamon and salt. Bring to boiling; stir in oats. Cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Let mixture stand, covered, until of desired consistency. Divide oatmeal mixture between 2 serving bowls. Top each serving of oatmeal with some chopped apple, snipped dates, sliced almonds and brown sugar. Divide milk between each serving.
*Dates add a touch of natural sweetness to this cereal, but they also contribute fiber. Eat only a few at a time, though. They’re a concentrated source of calories.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!