- 1 1 lb. flank steak, all visible fat removed
- 2 teaspoons coarsely cracked
- black pepper
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 (about 3 ounces) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 evaporated skim milk or skim milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Preheat broiler. To prevent meat from curling as it cooks, make 6 shallow slashes on each side of the meat in a crisscross fashion (three slashes in each direction). Rub cracked pepper onto each side of steak. Place steak on unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 5 inches from heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Turn and broil meat about 5 minutes more, or until desired doneness. Meanwhile, spray medium saucepan with vegetable oil. Place over medium heat. Cook mushrooms, green onions and garlic in skillet until mushrooms are just tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour. Add milk and mustard all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. To serve, thinly slice steak diagonally across the grain. Serve with mustard sauce.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!