- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 4 cups (1 qt.) milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Miniature marshmallows or sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Stir together sugar, cocoa and salt in medium saucepan; stir in water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Boil and stir 2 minutes.
- Add milk; stirring constantly, heat to serving temperature.
- Do Not Boil.
- Remove from heat; add vanilla.
- Beat with rotary beater or whisk until foamy.
- Serve topped with marshmallows or whipped cream, if desired.
Five 8-oz. servings.
VARIATIONS: Add one of the following with the vanilla extract:
- SPICED COCOA: 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg. Serve with cinnamon stick, if desired.
- MINT COCOA: 1/2 teaspoon mint extract OR 3 tablespoons crushed hard peppermint candy OR 2 to 3 tablespoons white creme de menthe. Serve with peppermint candy stick, if desired.
- MICROWAVE SINGLE SERVING: Combine 1 heaping teaspoon cocoa powder, 2 heaping teaspoons sugar and dash salt in microwave-safe cup or mug. Add 2 teaspoons cold milk; stir until smooth. Fill cup with milk. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until hot. Stir to blend; serve.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!