- 3 lbs. russet potatoes, cooked and sliced think
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 4 cups shredded medium sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
- 1/2 Tbsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. rosemary
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 325 F and grease a three-quart baking dish with butter. Set aside.
- Shred cheeses and toss together to mix, and then divide into three piles: approximately 3 cups for the sauce, 1 1/2 cups for the inner layer, and 1 1/2 cups for the topping.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine. Mixture will look like very wet sand. Cook for approximately 1 minute, whisking often.
- Slowly pour in about 2 cups or so of the half and half, while whisking constantly, until smooth.
- Slowly pour in the remaining half and half and the whole milk, while whisking constantly, until combined and smooth. Continue to heat over medium heat, whisking very often, until mixture reaches a very thick consistency.
- Remove from the heat and stir in spices and 1 1/2 cups of the cheeses, stirring to melt and combine. Stir in another 1 1/2 cups of cheese, and stir until completely melted and smooth.
- In your greased baking dish, place some cheese sauce to cover bottom, layer cooked potatoes on bottom with a third of cheese sauce; repeat. Top with remaining shredded cheeses.
- Sprinkle the top with the last 1 1/2 cups of cheese and bake for 20 minutes, until the cheese is lightly golden brown.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!