- 3-4 lbs. corned beef flat cut brisket w/ seasoning packet.
- 2 carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 40 oz. Can of Dark Irish Stout Beer (Guiness, O’Hara’s, Brookly Black etc)
- Water (as needed to cover)
- 1 small head of cabbage.
- Remove corned beef roast from package and rinse with water.
- Chop carrots into 2-3 large pieces and place in the crockpot.
- Place corned beef roast on top of the carrots and sprinkle in the seasoning from the packet and the bay leaf.
- Pour the stout over the corned beef; add water if needed to fully cover the brisket.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Chop cabbage into ribbons.
- Remove the corned beef from the crock pot and let rest for 5 minutes. Throw out the carrots. The carrots are used to soak up excess salt and should not be eaten.
- Add two cups of the braising liquid from the crock pot and the cabbage into a skillet. Cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Reserve 1 cup of the cabbage to make Colcannon.
- Serve immediately.
Yields: 5-8 servings.