Smashed Red Potatoes
- 1 lb. small red potatoes (about 7), quartered
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp. thinly sliced green onions (green part only)
- 1 Tbsp. shredded, or, grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan. Pour in enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain well in a colander. Return to the pan.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the buttermilk over medium-low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, or until hot, making sure it doesn’t boil. Remove from the heat.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes, adding enough buttermilk to make them creamy (you may not need all the buttermilk). Add the remaining ingredients, stirring just until blended.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!