- 1 1/2 pounds beef flat iron steaks
- 1 package (8 ounces) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen crinkle-cut carrots
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, divided
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (14 to 14 1/4 ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (1/2 of a 15-ounce package)
- Heat oven to 425°.
- Cut beef steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch thick strips.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add mushrooms; cook and stir 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, peas, 1 teaspoon thyme and 1/2 teaspoon garlic; cook and stir an additional 3 to 4 minutes or until carrots and peas are defrosted.
- Remove from skillet; set aside.
- In same skillet, add 1/2 of beef; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink.
- Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Remove from skillet with slotted spoon; set aside.
- Repeat with remaining beef.
- Dissolve cornstarch into beef broth; add to skillet.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir about 1 minute or until sauce is slightly thickened and any browned bits on bottom of skillet are dissolved.
- Return vegetables and beef to pan; stir to combine.
- Place beef mixture in 2-inch deep, 9-inch pie plate or similar sized round baking dish.
- Unfold pie crust on flat surface, pressing out fold lines with fingers.
- Place crust over beef mixture allowing edges to drape over pie plate.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 teaspoon thyme and 1/2 teaspoon garlic evenly onto top of crust.
- Place pie plate on 15 1/2 by 10 1/2 by 1-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Bake in 425° oven 16 to 18 minutes or until crust is golden.
- Remove from oven to wire rack; let cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!