- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine, spaghetti, macaroni, or other noodles
- 4 tablespoons light butter (unsalted)
- 2 cups Mushrooms, sliced (fresh or canned)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 4 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 1 cup peas (frozen)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Lightly grease a 9×9-inch baking dish.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until tender. (Check cooking time for pasta; remove pasta approximately 2 minutes early.)
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and thyme. Stir and cook until mushrooms are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour until well blended. (Note: Start with ¹/3 cup flour and add more, if needed.)
- While whisking, slowly add chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until sauce is thickened and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Add turkey, toasted almonds, frozen peas, and cooked pasta. Gently mix together. Pour into the baking dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is golden brown, 25-35 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!